Thursday, 24 June 2010

Are you kidding me?

Lots have happened in the last few days, and I am sure that I will catch up on all of it one of these days, but the only thing piercing the fog right now is that f****** game last night.
We woke up with a lot of anxiety. Every game so far had been fun and exciting, but now it was do or die time, and being US Soccer fans we had seen our share of die. Everyone began preparing for the game, but for me first things first. June 23rd, is also my wedding anniversary. This year marks 10 years with the most wonderful woman in the world. I wouldn't be here without her, and I wanted to make a small gesture that hopefully she would see. So, I ran off to the Menlyn Mall to find some Poster Board and markers to make my HAPPY ANNIVERSARY JEN!! sign. I got back from the mall, and the boys were putting on the warpaint. I made a decision not to paint this year, maybe it is because I am getting older, may it is because I am getting lazier, but I know the last time I painted my face we went out to Ghana...superstitious? Maybe.
Anyway, we loaded up and headed toward the stadium. On game days the open container laws seem to be forgotten, so it was a raucous little parade. On the way, we came across some Algerians and we all wished them luck. What he got back a lot of leering and hostility...whatever.
We got to Hatfield Square and were a little disappointed. It seems that US supporters were all split across 3 locations, and it lessened the effect. Still I met some Scottish fellows that live in the US and they were supporting ABE .... ANYONE BUT ENGLAND. Very nice. Off to the game.
Walking around outside the stadium, I would have sworn there were more Algerians than Americans at the game. Once we got inside, that myth was quickly dispersed. The Red, White, and Blue was dominating that stadium. The Yanks were in the house, and we were letting everyone know about it. I have to admit I have no pictures of the game. I held my sign to Jen up for most of the game, and my shoulders are reminding me of it today. Anyways, we were frigging loud.
As the game progressed the anxiety rose...news had spread that England had scored and if things stood, we were going home. Once again, the referee had to make things interesting, calling back a US goal for offside, that was apparently not offside (thanks to all of you who got to see 20 replays). As added time started, even us diehards were losing hope. Then Howard caught a weak Algerian header, and launched a monster outlet pass to Donovan. I was watching, and thought "they only have 2 players back" Jozy, Donovan and Clint were racing forward. What a fucking moment. Jozy carried, crossed, Clint shot, saved, and Landon slotted home the greatest goal I have ever experienced. We erupted in the greatest example of group exultation possible. I thought the now infamous 3rd goal against Slovenia was exciting, but this was sheer Nirvana. The final whistle blew, and while the Algerians quickly left the stadium, the thousands (yes, I said thousands) of US fans celebrated in the stands for a good hour....this celebration spilled out on the streets after security finally kicked us out of the stadium. The party continued at Eastwoods long into the night, and 5 battered, tired, and utterly happy Americans staggered home.
What a day...BRING ON GHANA!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment